Skip to main content

The Unbearable Lightness of Being 40


 *This blog was originally an article published on About.com's Dating site, 2005.

Bio: Laurie Wiegler is a Milford,CT-based journalist who usually writes about the environment, green living and engineering. She wrote this in 2005.

Title: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being 40"

Article:      When I was young, I used to ridicule (usually privately)
those pathetic middle-aged men hitting on young girls.  What were they
trying to relive, anyway?  And why wasn't someone of, say, my mother's age
good enough for them?
      At 23, I interviewed a gifted concert pianist, age 50.  I was
 impressed by his gifts and flattered that he considered me equally gifted
 as a writer (ahem).  Following him and his entourage around one night, I
 soon got invited to a New Year's Eve bash at his house -- out of
 town.  After mulling it over, I decided to bus it out to Bakersfield that cold
 California night, certain that I'd be well taken care of by my artistic
 mentor.  Ohhhh yes.
      First, I'll set the scene:  A slender, attractive woman, stands
 smoking in the man's kitchen.  "Hi, you're a cute girl, real cute.  How
 old are you?"
      (I am seated below her).  "Uhh, 23."
      "I'm 40."
      "Well, you, uh, you look great," I stammer.
      I then find out that the pianist's friend Jerry is madly in love with
 this woman, who is rather beautiful when not entangled in the web of
 green-eyed wires.
      And I remember thinking, 'Why is she so insecure?  She's gorgeous.'
      I resolve at that very moment to never ever become anyone remotely
 like her.
      And I haven't.  Instead, I've become the pianist.  I've become this
 middle-aged dirty old man pining after fresh young meat.  I should be put
 up at the zoo as the latest attraction: "See the 40-year-old woman who
 still thinks she's 20!  Laugh at her frolicking with the 23-year-old male
 cub in the next cave!  See how she makes a FOOL of herself, eating
 nothing but his youthful energy!"
      So let me explain.  That night, the pianist not only hits on me but
 turns our little sleepover into a push-me-pull-me game of pseudo rape,
 save only for the fact that I stand up and practically belt him.  He is
 left whimpering on his side of the bed (don't ask) as I leave (yes, in
 pjs) and hit the road.
      Could I really have been so naive as to think a 50-year-old man has
 nothing but mentoring on the brain when he invites a young woman into his
 bed?  Sadly, yes.
      Fast forward.  Seventeen years later and 23-year-olds have never
 looked so damn good.  Are their eyes getting bluer and sparklier?  Are
 their dimples more pronounced and their adorable downy goatees and manes more touchable?  Or is my eyesight just getting better.
     Have I or have I not become my own subject of ridicule?
      Friends and family do not encourage this. "You'll have better luck with someone older, someone who can take care of you," they insist.  Last  I recalled, weren't we supposed to fend for ourselves?  What happened to Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat up to the wind?  Was that or was it not the symbol of all feminists hold dear -- to be cute, employed and deliciously single with, I might add, one helluva theme song?
    OK, I'm rationalizing.  But look at this another way. I don't remember reading a statistic that states that men are now outliving women by 10 or 15 years, which would be necessary if I hooked up  with, say, a 55-year-old man.  So why is it then that women in our society are still encouraged to marry up, agewise?
      Here's the deal, friends.  This is still a man's world.  And THAT is
 why I resist doing the so-called right thing, because in MY book, it's
 just not right anymore.  This is not to say I dislike older men as a
 rule.  I don't dislike them anymore than I dislike any man who might be
 interesting, sexy and fun.  Rather, I do not like the idea that I MUST be
 with one of these guys.  It's like cough syrup.  I like to take it when I
 think I need it, not when the doctor tells me to.
     And that is why the 40-year-old bear is willing to still make a fool
 of herself at the zoo.  Because even though people are laughing at her --
 and not with her -- she's still got the chutzpah to do her own
 thing.  Especially when she's not in a cage.
Photo: The author and her mother, Kathleen Leonard, Kauai 1984

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bearable Lightness of Being 60(ish)

It's that time of year again - swarms of candy heart box buyers cramming the aisles at CVS, desperate husbands searching for the right card (that will do the trick), kids developing cavities from their 37th sweet treat. Then there are the 60-year-old ladies roaming the aisles, smiling a fake half-smile, barely recalling what it felt like to receive a Valen tine. Don't get me wrong. I called this bearable lightness because it is. What a joy it is to to walk by a construction site without fear of whistlers blasting our ear drums, or converse with the male boss and actually hold his gaze. The days of questioning why we were hired (looks) are gone. Our voices are heard. We are respected! Sort of. I am finding that at times, if I look particularly dowdy that day, I am treated with disdain. Not only from men but women. I recently arrived breathless, cold, disheveled to a job, was treated like a bag lady, and a couple days later tested positive for Covid. In the few minutes I interact

Why are women called 'cougars' but men aren't?

I went out with someone 30 years my junior. It may or may not have been a date -- I assumed it was friends meeting for lunch until he insisted on giving me a backrub -- but there was no denying the age difference. When I mentioned this to my elder niece, thirtysomething, she quipped: "Aunt Laurie is such a cougar!" My friend Patrick, 65, ditto, "Cougar!" Good lord, people, a cougar isn't even my favorite cat or for that matter car. Call me a jaguar or a lion, but a cougar? Most of us older ladies who are trying to still date don't fancy ourselves predators, which is what the name cougar implies. And most of us aren't always choosing younger or much younger men. Quite simply, men our age are often happily married and most of us aren't sinking so low as to prey on them (that would be more cougary in my book). So why call us cougar? Is it to just point out how socially unacceptable it still is to date a younger man? My grandmother was seven years'